Monday, January 18, 2010

I emerge from the depths of... something

Take the silence from my side of things as a sign that things are going okay. I've been ill for the last three days and it has hampered me from handling various tasks, from the internship to even fun things. I've been playing catch-up, but thankfully, it isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

I've been busy emailing with the magazine's editor, a professor, a fellow classmate, and others. It's the most I've spent on my email account in a long while.

Very little reading, but the big one is of course Camus' The Stranger (for my Senior Seminar). Now, I already know I'm going to English Major hell for not enjoying Austen's Pride and Prejudice... but I'm gonna go to the ninth circle for this: I'm not completely digging Stranger that much. I appreciate it for what it's doing, or at least what I perceive it's doing, but I cannot say I really like it. Perhaps discussion in the class will help me respect it more, but by itself... it has yet to impress me.

For movies, I watched The Holy Mountain a couple of nights ago. I'm not much into surrealist films, but hey, at least I started off with a prime choice. At least, that's what I heard about this film. I got most of it, but had to read up a little more to get it. I caught some of the tarot symbols and understood most of the Christian allegory. It was an interesting film and recommend it to those who like surrealist films. Personally, I wouldn't watch it again. I can barely handle my own imagination sometimes.

Not much writing, but I need to get to working on my COLFA conference submission. I plan to work on it later on today.

Otherwise, not much else.

Have yourself a safe and happy Martin Luther King Day, y'all. Honor the man of the hour by learning more about him. He's a fascinating guy. Plus, his wife Coretta is an awesome lady in her own right.

0 musing(s):