Tuesday, June 15, 2010

It's time to emerge from the shadows... Or: Good Lord, don't write parts before writing the whole novel.

Okay, something serious happened while working on "Invisible". I can't call it a derailment. Maybe a volcanic explosion. I could ponder on better ecological or mechanical metaphors to describe the failure I ran into, but that will get boring very fast. Instead, here is what happened: I wrote parts.

What does that mean specifically? Instead of writing the whole thing through, I wrote little scenes to add in later. I have read that isn't always a bad idea, in fact I dealt with sticking a part I wrote for "Blues" (last year's project) and didn't run into problems. To be cliche, lightning doesn't strike twice.

Then again, "Invisible" has been in pre-production for about ten years and I have rewritten the prologue more than three times. I discovered, while writing the prologue for the fourth time, that the best draft was written around November of last year. Needless to say, I was pissed. So I decided to finish the prologue from November, combine it with some new details, and another part of another drafted prologue. Not surprising, it all blew up in my face.

Defeated, I started working on another novella, the one I write about in this entry, the idea about the amateur spotter. Yeah, it became a novella. (I will be working on and off on this alongside "Invisible". This project will be known as "Wind".) I got to the first 2,000 words and also stopped there. I haven't written a thing since, until now.

It's simple to say that I need to get back to working on "Invisible" and tackle that prologue. Yeah, it would be. And so, I sit before my laptop waiting for inspiration to give me a swift kick in the ass. Unless I act without waiting, it'll be another age before I do it again. Sure, this time around I have bigger problems but it's what I need to know how to face. So if you excuse me, I have a prologue's ass to kick.


P.S.: I'm shocked Neil Young wrote this song. Sure, Wikipedia says that the original take was not as happy, but the lyrics don't present that right away.

0 musing(s):