Saturday, August 3, 2013

34 years ago today...

my all-time favorite album (full-stop) and by its band (Talking Heads); Fear of Music descended upon record stores. Oh, if only to go back in time and go to the local record store and do this:

OMG yeaaaaaaa!

It had a crazy-amazing radio ad. (You can hear a bit of it during the South Bank Show episode on the band, featured on the Chronology deluxe DVD.)

It inspired Jonathan Lethem to write one of the best 33 1/3 books. (Seriously, you need to read it if you haven't.)

It made Dadaist poetry a thing to adapt to song. ( "I Zimbra", best opening track ever!)

It actually got a Grammy nomination for its artwork. (sweet holy everything, Jerry Harrison almost got a Grammy*.)

Everyone kinda forgets this album exists, since it lives in the shadow of Remain In Light. (cue joke, har-har)

With songs like "Life During Wartime", "Heaven", and "I Zimbra", what's not to love? I even like "Animals", the only blah track. (Not a bad song on this fine circle of vinyl, y'all)

The opening track was the equivalent of this famous meme. (See the video for reference)

~~

Keep on going, Fear of Music. You're the one that made me fall in love hard with the band.

*Okay, I know Mr. Harrison wouldn't have gotten the Grammy, since it was another dude that was nominated... but I like to think he would've sorta spiritually got it since he did design the cover.

*meme does not belong to me*

0 musing(s):