Sunday, May 10, 2015

An Anecdote

Setup: Mom and I are driving back from Austin after seeing Fleetwood Mac. We made a few stops, including BookPeople where I got a copy of Girl in A Band by Kim Gordon (bassist of Sonic Youth). Since I'm not feeling well, Mom is at the wheel while I'm reclined in the passenger seat. I pick up the book and start talking to Mom about it.

*conversation is not exact wording, just a heads-up*

Me: You know, she's a Taurus like you. See? *shows the cover and points to her shirt*

Mom: (after glancing at it) Oh yeah, she is! Yea, Taurans!

(Getting a hunch, I look up Kim Gordon on Wikipedia)

Me: What do ya know? She's only a week older than you! [Gordon was born on April 28th, while Mom was born on May 7th]

Mom: Huh!

Me: Her husband is the leader of the band. They just divorced recently because he was cheating on her.

Mom: Well, I know that feeling. [Mom was previously married to a police officer/part-time musician before she met my father.]

(I decide to read part of the first chapter about the announcement of Gordon and Thurston Moore's split.)

Me: Huh, you two have a lot in common: Taurans who were married to cheating musicians.

~~

And that's how I found out Kim Gordon and my mother would have a lot to talk about, if they ever were to meet.

0 musing(s):