Wednesday, November 9, 2016

I Am Not Proud to Be an American

A long time ago, when I was a wee lass, my mother told me that my great-grandfather on her side was a member of the KKK. Needless to say, I was horrified on learning this. After the shock wore off, I made a vow that I would do everything in my power to undo as much damage as he had done when he was alive.

Today, with the election results, this feels more relevant than ever. I'm writing this, cringing for the impact of what will be an unmitigated disaster for this nation.

I feel like how I did when I found out that I am a descendant of the KKK: ashamed. Yet responsible. No, I did not elect for that asshole. Yet it was my race and the privilege that comes with it that did it.

I want to apologize, but I feel the words will hurt more. A bandage on a broken soul.

Instead, I will do more than apologize. I will vow not only to undo as much of the damage that this will wrought, but I will stand at the front lines with all those that will fight.

Fuck you if you voted for Trump. You are responsible for this and you will clean up this mess once the damage has been done.

For those who fight and will continue to, I love you from the bottom of my heart and without condition. I am on your side. Count me in.

This got too personal. This has gone on far too long.

And you don't want to fuck with me. I am part Irish. I am a liberal stuck in a red state. I am also a writer armed with words. Just sayin'...