Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Whoa, Nelly! It's storytime!

Okay, no review today or anything about writing. Instead, I drove my ass up to a William Gibson book signing. It was about two hours (thirty minutes longer 'cause I got sidetracked several times). It took about the same time returning home only because most of the highway going into town was closed off for construction. The cool thing is that driving out of town was one of my goals. So yeah, three down and forty to go! (Yes, last time I counted, I did it wrong. This is why I'm an English graduate.) I should note that I never drove out of town before, not until tonight. And it was nearly four hours total, going to and from!

One more thing: I'm changing goal #34 to: making my own Talking Heads shirt. I need one in my life, so I shall create it.

~

Wait. You dunno who William Gibson is? Get schooled!

So yeah, after waiting twenty minutes, I got my copies of his latest and Neuromancer signed. Pictorial evidence, y'all:


He was pretty cool, and freaking tall too. Like over six feet for sure. He had this leisurely way of speaking, but if you watch this clip of him from the eighties, he's always talked like that:



I asked him what his favorite J.G. Ballard novel was (he mentioned the author during the Q&A, in terms of influences). He didn't have a definitive favorite, but said "all of them were good". That is a valid answer.

So not only did I achieve a big goal, I got to meet the guy who came up with the term "cyberspace". Ace.

Until next time, Hazmat-wearing ponies.

0 musing(s):