Saturday, December 17, 2011

I concede, I concede; here is my white flag.

I have purchased an e-reader. Yes, one from my job. No, not the full-color ones with Angry Birds on it (I'll be getting an iPhone for that later). The "simple" one, the one with only Wi-Fi capabilities to download an infinity of free samples of books I've been meaning to read for years.

Man, I actually like the thing. It's a surprising godsend. As I mentioned, the free samples are wonderful. It gives me a chance to read a few chapters to get a "feel" before either buying it or passing on it. It is similar to going to the library, grabbing a huge stack of random titles, and finding a place to sit to peruse. But unlike most patrons, I won't leave a huge mess behind. A lot of times, as an unashamed bibliophile, I have a huge-ass list of "to-read books". This will help eliminate the bummers and get me to the good stuff.

No, I will not buy e-books exclusively. I will still purchase hard copies. It will be easy to judge which ones to purchase as e-books versus hard copies. I don't know how it will work, but trust me, I'm getting a feel for these things.

I originally wanted one when, at work, there was a possible chance I could win one. When that didn't happen, the desire to own one stuck with me. Then, in a series of serendipitous events, the path was laid out for me to own the little bugger (whom I named "Calliope", "Callie" for short). 

For Callie and I, this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

~

On a side note, Jeffery Eugenides wins an Internet for this billboard. Hell, I'll try to read the book again just because I forgot how much this was so damn genius. Attn: writers: humorous book release billboards = Frustrated Lady Writer wanting to read said book (even if she hated the first twelve pages of it at first read).

0 musing(s):