Monday, July 14, 2014

The Tools of the Frustrated Lady Writer

In my free time (when I should be doing other things, like writing, etc.) I have been browsing various notebook and journaling websites and Tumblrs. After a while, I began to think about the tools I use for my IRL writing, so I'm gonna share with y'all my favorite pens, notebooks and journals, inks, and other random-ass things that I use to create words not on a computer!


~~

When it comes time to do some old-fashioned handwriting, I rely on two sets of pens: the fountains and the disposable rolling balls. I have a third fountain pen ("Brian") that I don't use yet since it lacks a converter. It's been a to-buy thing for a long while. Perhaps I should fulfill that soon. All the nibs have fine points, or in the case of "Angela", an extra-fine. (Side note: like my tradition of naming all my electronics after Greek goddesses, I name all my fountain pens after British writers. Name sources are J.G. Ballard, Angela Carter, and Brian Jacques.)

From l to r: "James" (Waterman Expert)
"Angela" (Pelikan M620 Piccadilly Circus)
"Brian" (Retro 51 Tornado)
~~

As for the rolling ball pens, I enjoy the Pilot Precise V5, which not only have needle-thin points, which makes writing so much easier, but also the ink is fast-drying and never smears. I used to like using the TUL fine gel rollerballs, but the ink smears something fierce. So I've found my new favorite disposable pens. I also use Pigma Micron pens, but since they are expensive, these are a rare treat.

Shout out to the Ghirardelli chocolate tin,
who lives a new life as a pen tin!
~~

I have an assortment of inks for my fountain pens. Of them all, I love the Private Reserve in Sherwood Green and the Pilot Iroshizuku in Momiji (Autumn Leaves). I'm still on the hunt for a good blue ink and also a good gray one. Any recommendations are welcome!

Love, love these fine inks!
The Pilot one is expensive... :(
***

As for notebooks and journals, I have no preferences. I used to enjoy this tiny Piccadilly ones
I miss ya, little buggers!
but unfortunately, these aren't being made anymore. But I have found decent replacements in these pocket-size Moleskine Volants:
Ones on the left: used
One in the middle: currently being used
Ones to the right: yet to be used

And I bought these Field Notes last year while I was up in Austin. I look forward to giving these little guys a try! And hopefully, found another (but cheaper) set of replacements for the Piccadillies.









When it comes to regular note-taking, I typically switch between the small ones to these larger Piccadilly notebooks I have:
Shout out to free large stickers!
Here is my unused journal collection. They've come from all over the place, from my job to gifts from friends to Walmart to Borders (R.I.P.):

And here is the journal I am currently trying to finish up:
I found the little tag during a shift at my job.
When keeping a schedule, I rely on this old friend:

When making lists for the grocery store, this old notebook is getting some use:

As is another old one for my food/exercise journal:
I was given this as a gift from an old friend
when I was about ten.
***

So, those are the tools of my trade. From journaling to penning my food/exercise intake to making grocery lists to writing diatribes in tiny Moleskines; these are the things I use the most often and enjoy them.

What are the tools of your trade(s)? Share them in the comments!

0 musing(s):