Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What I Would Take 2.0

A while back, over a year ago to be exact, I did my first attempt at The Burning House (where I photographed what I would take in the event of a forthcoming catastrophe). Since time has passed, favorite things have changed. There were things I rather save than others, so some switching around was done. Now I feel that I have a better idea. Or at least, the most current one.

Side-note: If I had NO TIME, it would be narrowed down to my cat, family (if they were in any danger or needed assistance) and my family's other pets (again, same as with family). Because, oh God, I wouldn't know what I do with myself if I wasted my time saving some random crap instead of my loved ones. 

But, like the project somewhat implies, in a perfect world, these are the things one would gather up and save. These things are stand as representation of the person's self via random-ass objects. 

Okay, enough blabbing. Here is the damn picture:

Apologies on the lighting. It was daytime and the sun was NOT my friend.


  • Laptop* (yes, I was watching Achievement Hunter during this photo, shut up.)
  • Fossil bag
  • My childhood stuffed animals (see this entry)
  • Meds: birth control and anti-depressant
  • My super-rare vinyl copy of Out of the Cradle by Lindsey Buckingham
  • Prospero, the Owl Who Travels (the story on why)
  • A picture of my paternal grandfather (see this entry)
  • Fountain pens "Angela" and "James"
  • Fossil wallet
  • Sennheiser headphones
  • Oxford University sweatshirt
  • Rare black-label copy of Silent Hill on the PSX
  • Fossil watch, college ring, Claddagh ring, two Celtic knot rings, pearl necklace (a former professor made this for me as a graduation gift), and four pairs of earrings (silver feather-like ones that belonged to my late great-aunt, turquoise guitars I got at an anime convention, owl earrings that someone made for me, and rubber ducky earrings my best friend made for me)
  • The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (Penguin Ink edition)
  • A House Like A Lotus by Madeleine L'Engle (first edition)
  • The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka (first edition)
  • Promo poster for Fear of Music by Talking Heads (though folded and not in the frame) [the story of why I would save this]
  • iPhone* (not pictured, since I was using it to take this photo)
  • Car/house keys

  • *Chargers not pictured, but would be thrown into the bag if I had time.

    ~~

    I didn't include my cat this time since she is Priority #1 and it goes without saying that I would get her to safety first. And then I would get my stuff.

    Here is a close-up of the jewelry (in case you were curious):









    ~~

    Here is a picture of me wearing the sweatshirt,
    while touring lovely Ireland! (circa 2008)
    So, why a randomass sweatshirt? Well, it's one of the best things I bought on my first overseas trip (besides the Claddagh ring). Shortly after arriving in our first stop at London, I became ill with a mild cold. Genius me didn't bring anything to help with that, so I had to rely on my professors' medicine stash. When we got to Oxford University, I was feeling a little better, but wanted something that would give me comfort. I was naturally attracted to this oversized sweatshirt. I bought it, thinking this is the closest I will ever get to being on the campus of such a prestigious university. During the cool Welsh and Irish days and nights, it kept me just warm enough. [Yes, do the math. This thing is over six years old. And it still fits me. Where's your God now?]

    And now, let's play everyone's favorite game:

    WILL
    IT
    ALL
    FIT?!

    And the answer is...

    of course it will.


    (What I might do is wear the sweatshirt and carry the keys in my pockets, to save a little bit of room. The headphones and jewelry are in the pouch tied to the side of the bag.)

    No, the poster isn't in there. Ain't gonna bother with it, But I can assure you, it will fit. I'll probably have it folded up and in with Out of the Cradle. Same goes with my current laptop, since the hinge is broken. But I assure you that, despite the aforementioned, it will all fit.

    0 musing(s):