Monday, November 12, 2012

Veteran's Day (For My Grandfather)

Yesterday and today, we honor those who served in the armed forces, who gave their time and lives to fight for our freedoms and big causes. One person I remember the most is my paternal grandfather.

He died when I was ten, after a brief but merciless battle with lung cancer at the young age of sixty-seven. He was in the Army and served during the Korean War, stationed at Fort Hood in his later days (my father was born there, in fact). As a kid, I remember going to his trailer home and seeing mementos of those times. There was a standard-sized portrait of him in his uniform in the bedroom. I also remembered that he still had his dog tags from those days. He also told my parents that he took pictures while he was over in Korea. He never did get to tell me about his days in the military, or show me those photos he took while he was over in Asia. When he died, all that went with him. His ex-wife took all of his things, including all the awards and pictures of his times in the Army, and we were left only with our memories (and a few trinkets). If things were more ideal, I would have that portrait and his dog tags and I would wear the tags on this day every year.

But at least I have wonderful memories of him. To my shock, my mother told me that of all the grandchildren, I was his favorite. I think it's because he saw a lot of himself and my father in me: a stubborn streak, pale skin freckled with moles, a kindhearted personality laced with grouchiness, and fierce independence and intelligence. He also showed me my first typewriter, an old Underwood desktop he took with him when he retired. It breaks my heart to say that we gave it away years ago and I deeply regret it (as does my father). Even when I left behind my teddy bear at a state park, my grandfather only said "well, we have to go back".

I like to think that he and Neil Armstrong (another Korea vet) are chatting it up in the higher planes, trying to remember if they ever ran into each other. They probably didn't, but at least they can share memories.

I miss you, Papa, and I wish on this day every year I can wear something that shows how proud of you I am. Either way, I am honored to be the granddaughter of an Army vet.

0 musing(s):