Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Read the labels and create your own title!

As I reach the 60k mark in Spiders, I have come to a strange realization: I don't want to have the whole thing finished by the 30th. I wanna take it a bit slower, try to complete it at the pace I usually go at. At this rate, I could finish it in early December. And you know what? That's fine with me. I'm really enjoying the story and characters, and I really want to spend a little more time with it.

You see, I think this may be the last time I "officially" participate in NaNoWriMo. After doing it a second time,  I realize that I hated having to cram in a bunch of words in one day. I wanted to write two to three thousand words that meant a little more than padding. Nothing wrong with the NaNo approach, it works for some people, but I've come to realize that it doesn't work for me. I like taking my time (well, not years and years, but you understand) and crafting something a little more than a zero draft. Then again, oh hai perfectionist self! (And also, it doesn't help there I already got the nicest prize from the whole shebang last year: the coupon for Scrivener.)

This is not a hatefest on NaNoWriMo, people have shown their asses doing that and it's honestly a ridiculous thing to get worried about. Man, it must be nice not having real problems! Y'all are just sad that people found a way to make writing fun and more than an art, but a fun craft! But then again, just read what John Scalzi has to say about all this, he said it better than I could. And also, Mary Robinette Kowal. They are wise beings.

I think my time with NaNoWriMo has come to an end. I had tons of fun and wish everyone who still partakes in it all the best and nothing but the best.

~

I finished Woolf's A Room of One's Own. I got a bone to pick with it. I understand women having their own writing space (i.e. time) and their own funds is important, but thanks for throwing the poor and uneducated under the bus! I mean, damn! When I was reading this book, I couldn't help but think of writers that were born in working-class families and writers who don't have college degrees and thought "wow, y'all... hate to break it to you, but by Woolf's standards, you ain't ever gonna be good writers". Of course, there was rarely any decent discourse about writers of color. And I won't even get into the whole concept of one sounding like a man or woman in their writing... uuugggh. That is all such utter bull***.

~

I'll wrap up Spiders in due time and get ready for the next big challenge: the grad school application!

Now there's something I'll keep trying every year until I succeed!

0 musing(s):