Sunday, December 20, 2015

Thoughts on Life Is Strange

**I'll say it once and say it again, there be spoilers. Be wary!**

A while back, I played a video game called Life Is Strange, which was known for having mature themes (ooh boy, no kidding there) and being episodic (which is cool, glad this is becoming a thing). I watched Dodger's Let's Play of it up to the final episode and knew I had to play it for myself. I even went as far as not watching Dodger play the last episode so I can be surprised. Not too often do I watch a Let's Play and want to play the game even when I saw most of it already in action.

So when it came my turn to sit down and play it... boy howdy, this game is a soul-puncher. I mean, on the surface, ti shouldn't be, but damn. I know, some would look at the summary and lose interest fast. I mean, a teenage protagonist? Whatever, plenty of shows like that out already. What would make this game any different? Well, I guess not that much. I ain't going to pretend this game is treading new ground here, but its presentation and takes to the tropes are what stick with me.

SPOILERS AHEAD


I love the rewinding time mechanic. It really is interesting how it can be abused, which this game harped on quite a bit. Even Max, who was "blessed" with the ability, is wary of what to do with it. And when it's revealed that her actions are what caused the epic tornado to come to town later on, it hits home far more. People will be like "Back to the Future did that" and I would respond with "yes, I'm aware of that". It's known amongst time-travel discussions that any changes to the past would fuck up the future, but it seems that until you personally do it (in the form of controlling a protagonist that can manipulate time) that it really makes that clearer. It's not that we have to talk about it, but to experience it... woof.

When I watched Dodger's playthrough, I knew that I would do everything within my playthrough to defend and save Kate. I was surprised how easy it ended up being, but then again I love to snoop around in games and learn more about people. And when you do that, there is a TON of stuff going on behind the main story. It's richly detailed in that way.

So when I got to save Kate, I thought wow I did it. There was a moment I was certain I effed up. Then I started to cry as Kate stumbled into Max's arms. Dammit, a game hasn't made me cry like this since The Cat Lady. Then with every appearance of Kate in the future episodes, I would tear up again and be like "my girly girl!" (good Lord, I get way into stories).

I actually knew (and even befriended) girls like Kate back in my homeschooling days, so when characters made fun of her or even teachers (WTF, I know right?) would make little comments, I would bristle up (old feelings die hard, I guess). Just because someone is religious and believes a certain way (e.g. abstinence) doesn't make them self-righteous, judgmental people. I know I make fun of my times of being a homeschooler, but I did meet some great people that I wish I still keep in touch with. I doubt Kate was homeschooled, but I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up being the case.

I know fellow players are like "Chloe forever!" but I like Kate more. I think it's because she is similar in personality to Max, which can make for a fulfilling friendship. And this is made pretty clear in the game early on that they are close. People love the trope of polar opposites (and I'm guilty as well), but sometimes having a ton in common is great. And actually, that type of friendship isn't always represented. I'm all for more "similar plane" friendships*.

I'm extremely thankful that the writers of the game made Kate into a fleshed-out character with actual feelings and a personality outside of "goody two shoes Christian girl" (I mean, the girl cusses! That is a big deal for me). And atop that, to make Max respectful of her friend's beliefs. When you visit Kate in the hospital, you can look at a picture of Jesus and Max will say something along the lines of "whatever helps her through the night, so be it". I don't believe Max is Christian (I think she's agnostic, at least that's the impression I get), but for her to say something like that is refreshing. It makes me wish we can all be like that to each other, regardless of religion or lack thereof. And everything else we use to categorize and segregate ourselves.

So, for those who only glazed over, I talked about what Life Is Strange made me think about and take away from.

If you haven't played it, I recommend it. It's not super-long, but it's worth it. Wait for a sale if you can, but twenty bucks plus tax ain't too bad either.

And yeah, thanks game. I like "Mt. Washington" by Local Natives now.

*I don't know the actual term for this, so I'm making up one.

0 musing(s):