Monday, January 6, 2014

Another holy grail attained!

Ah yes, I previously wrote how I received the biggest of my grails about two years ago during Record Store Day (so appropriate it hurts) and that I had a few more of these big catches lined up. I managed to find another later that year in Buckingham Nicks, which I did not write about. I probably should have, but that's beside the point.

And now, I managed to find a surprise one in late November!

A year or so ago, I read a Talking Heads book (God help me if I can remember which one) and saw a passage about a side project that Jerry Harrison did sometime in the early eighties. He teamed up with Busta Jones and some more folks, including Dolette McDonald, and made an EP under the moniker "Escalators" (dumbass me thought it was "Elevators", so probably why I wasn't successful in finding anything until now). I hunted in vain for any evidence of the record's existence. The book I read (har har) made it sound like the EP was never released or if it was, it was super limited. I figured I would never find it and left that possibility in the dust.

Cut to about late last month. I'm faffing about on the Internet and am going through Discogs, a much excellent website. I was doing some research on Harrison's solo career, primarily on the singles he released in 1988. I talked about finding two variations of "Rev It Up" in San Francisco, which led me to learn more about variations of the "Man With a Gun" release. Blah, blah; I was doing that and under the heading of other bands he was in, I saw "Escalators". Clicked it and... boom. The EP not only existed, but it could be purchased (only on vinyl, though)! I immediately went to eBay and found one for a reasonable price. From the prices, its scarcity wasn't as serious as I thought.

And here we are now, me as the proud owner of the Escalators EP!

Worst selfie ever.
And after all that, what is the verdict? It sounds like a lost Tom Tom Club album, which is hilarious since none of the Escalators had anything to do with that album. It also sounds like the band was having a lot of fun making it, which is always great to notice in a recording. Oh and favorite track? "Here Comes That Girl Again". Hell yes. Saxophone and synth for the f***ing win.

Overall, it was totally worth it.

Har-har-har.
P.S.: This is a slightly older post, written around the time I got the LP.

*meme does not belong to me*

0 musing(s):