Saturday, January 25, 2014

Best of 2013: Book Edition

Before you go all "where the f*** is The Goldfinch, you insipid bibliophile?"*, yes I didn't finish much of the big releases of last year. I'm sorry, I really am. More to myself, but still to the few readers that wanted to know what I thought about Doctor Sleep (actually, I'm not fond of it, more on another day) and other big -timers. Either way, here is eight books released in 2013 that I did love and want you to check out (if you already haven't).

8. Eminent Hipsters by Donald Fagen
  Short yet sweet and funny like the author; ...Hipsters is less of an extensive memoir and more of a collection of autobiographical essays. They still get the point across about Fagen, a portrait of the artist as a young man (get it?). I really love Fagen being portrayed as that grumpy professor the students all love but the faculty hate. A great afternoon read.

7. NOS4A2 by Joe Hill
  Oh look, Stephen King's son wrote a damn good book. It's about biker chicks, space and time being ripped apart by random objects, and a strange-ass serial killer! And yes, that is my selling point. Go get it and have a blast.

6. Odds Against Tomorrow by Nathaniel Rich
  If there was any new book I was eager to read, it was this one. And thank goodness, it was worth the wait, the time and money used to get the book, and the reading experience. It is a strange one, following a young man with a tendency to predict major disasters. When he foresees a major hurricane-like storm hitting New York City, it becomes a tale of survival atop a dissertation on corporate life and the nature of tortured geniuses in this century.

5. Storm Kings: The Untold Story of America’s First Tornado Chasers by Lee Sandlin
  Warning: this is my inner meteorologist about to geek out here. At first, this book was a little slow, but as you get past the first two chapters, it picks up with the speed of an unexpected windstorm. This book is not only a hidden history uncovered, but a humbling reminder how meteorology as we know it is still a young science. It is a marvel it has gotten this far, who knows what the future holds?**

4. Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
  Oh my God, a YA book that isn't an insufferable mess! The story follows a young woman living in the red light district (Storyville) of New Orleans and her attempts to escape her abusive mother and a housekeeping job at a brothel while applying for a prestigious college; all the while solving a strange murder mystery atop that.

3. Turn Around Bright Eyes by Rob Sheffield
  Yep, also talked about this one here before. But, my opinion didn't change. It is a funny and wonderful look into the world of karaoke and the people who love to sing despite the lack of training. It is also an intimate look on how Mr. Sheffield found new love in a woman who would love karaoke as much as he did. Loved it, just as great as his previous books.

2. Angelopolis by Danielle Trussoni
  Man, I hate getting into series in progress. I already talked about this book to a lesser extent, but I will reiterate one thing: DAT ENDING. My God. Where is the last book, Ms. Trussoni?!

1. Adulting by Kelly Williams Brown
  Thank all that is heavenly possible for Ms. Williams Brown. Thanks to her, I have regained faith in my generation and especially women my age. This book is just plain wonderful and I wish it was around when I was younger, but what ya gonna do? It is full of wonderful advice, so good that I just reread it this month! Go buy it and read it, then go enjoy her blog.

~

This post was brought to you by a photo of me on the Eiffel Tower, circa 2010, taken by my sister:
I still have that jacket, believe it or not.
~

Side note: After reading Night Film, as I briefly talked about here, I have to say one thing to Ms. Pessl: you just had to kill the supernatural angle that late in the game, didn't ya?

*If I had finished The Goldfinch in time for this list, Ms. Tartt and Ms. Williams Brown would be sharing the literary crown, as Ms. Teng and Ms. Calvi are already doing for music.

**God, I still want to be a storm chaser and this book didn't help at all.

0 musing(s):