Saturday, January 5, 2013

Best of 2012: Movie Edition


Well, looks like I saw enough films to make a list. Here it is!

7. Brave 
  I wasn't expecting to love this movie, but I walked away from it, not only entertained but moved. The relationship between Merida and her mother reminded me of my own with my mother and the struggles we had during my teen and young adult years. The rest of the story left something to be desired, but if anything, the dynamics between the protagonist and her mother made it all worthwhile.

6. Jiro Dreams of Sushi
  Naturally, I love sushi (but then again, what white American doesn't? /sarcasm) so this interested me. But what ended up being the highlight was this journey into the life of a man dedicated to his craft and how it changed everyone around him. An interesting look on dream careers and what they produce.

5. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
  I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy, so naturally, I enjoyed this one very much. The acting was top-notch and it was great all around. The effects were gorgeous and the additions they made to the story worked surprisingly well. The priceless moment was when my sister and I went to see it at the Alamo Drafthouse, they showed "Ballad of Bilbo Baggins", which my sister never seen before. Her hysterical cackling and facial reactions were worth it.

4. The Invisible War
  A sickening and tragic look into the rape culture of the U.S. military, told from the perspectives of the survivors of the violence they faced from their higher-ups and fellow soldiers. This will make you mad, guaranteed. This film was brought to us from the same team who made the excellent This Film Is Not Yet Rated. A must-see, but if you're one to be triggered by sexual violence, I don't blame you for skipping it.

3. The Secret World of Arrietty
  Oh Studio Ghibli, you are just on a freaking roll. Keep adapting books based on children's fantasy novels and doing them well (well, except for Tales from Earthsea... and Howl's Moving Castle...) and you shall never fail. Oh. Your next one is based on a comic? Well either way, keep doing your thing well. You're the last of the hand-drawn studios.

2. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
  I love that this movie knows exactly what it is, is not apologetic about it, and still ends up being an excellent thrill ride full of great characters and a very interesting and well-told story. I wish films were this honest. We all would be having a great time at the theaters.

1. Silent Hill: Revelation
  Yeah, haters. Of everything I saw this year, this was the best one. Why? 'Cause it exceeded my expectations and entertained me. The end.

~~

2012 was a "blah" year of films. This year doesn't look better, other than the second part of The Hobbit. Oh well... I need to cull my Netflix queue. And the library has a good selection of movies...

This post was brought to you by Rush playing Rock Band.

3 musing(s):

Bookstore Dave said...

Proof "Rock Band" is a game, not a music talent display.
Brave looks cool -- I dig hero stories. I'd probably cry.
Hobbit looks good. I might buy the DVD.
Invisible War I have not seen. It's not a "rape culture" -- it's a "power" culture. Non-sexual power grabs / abuses happens between males all the time -- it happens in every conglomeration of people -- sports teams, bookstore staffs, educators, convents -- folks get hooked on power trips -- the weak and meek will always be trampled by the abusive and strong -- to stop it, you get strong inside and out -- some political perspectives would claim my life at the Bookstore has been one of me being a doormat and the company "using" me (non sexually, of course) --- but still a power grab.
Talk to me anytime.

Lindsey said...

I am absolutely beside myself that you would say something like this. You missed the point like you were competing to win the title. It’s not rape culture (nice use of scare quotes by the way), it’s power? Uhm, rape is also a power move, in case no one informed you about it. So yes, it is also rape culture! It is more than rape being a power move; it is also where society doesn’t take assault accusations seriously, blames the survivors for bringing it upon themselves or something else just as disgusting, and where men like you say “get strong inside and out” when it happens to people like me*. We need to call out those who harm others, they shouldn't get away with it anymore, and treat these situations with the seriousness it sorely needs.

*FYI: I was sexually harassed at my first job. Good to know that if you knew me then, you would’ve said something like “oh just rise above it.” That’s great. Glad to see where you stand on this.

I love how you made it all about the men. If you watched the documentary, the filmmakers interviewed male soldiers that were sexually assaulted and some of those men later joined some women in a survivors’ group. While the gender politics are different, the shame and sadness that followed the violence is common for all of them.

You should’ve said “Invisible War: I have not seen” and ended it there. Your words after that show your male privilege and your complete ignorance on what women have to deal with in this world. What little respect I had left for you is now gone. If you comment on my blog again, I’m not even giving you the dignity of allowing it, just gonna delete it like you never even said anything.

Anonymous said...

To "Bookstore Dave" in response to "Invisible War":

Obviously, you haven't traveled the world, lived in different countries, or studied world history, psychology and sociology thoroughly to even talk about "rape culture" with your narrow-minded and ignorant views.

First of all, "rape culture" is a reality that affects a variety of people, whether women, men, children, elderly, "white," "black"...

You're off on your "power" comments. Obviously, there have been powerful women throughout history. It's not only a reality "between males all the time."

Before you comment on "power" and "rape culture," especially in relation to a source that you've never seen before, perform some research (i.e., reviewing the material, getting a good grasp on what those complicated terms mean).

Again, "power" and "rape" are not mutually exclusive; they can and do overlap. Rape involves some type of power.

The "weak and meek will always be trampled by the abusive and strong" is just an untrue statement.

There are many instances in history and in people's lives where the supposedly "weak" and "meek" have defeated the powerful and won.

Fact is..."rape culture" is a reality that is found throughout the world. One stinging example is the human trafficking of millions of women and children and even men. Or take a trip to the gross human rights violations around the world, especially in some war zone and "third world" countries, where rape and sexual violence is common.

Yes, "rape" can mean different things and is a complicated term, but in the context of the film, it's addressing physiological rape, psychological rape, emotional rape, sexual violence, and how it affects loved ones and society at large...that different genders have endured.

As the previous poster said, you should just have ended the comment with, "Invisible War I have not seen."