Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Random-Ass Facts about My Current Novel Project

While hard at working on A Wilderness of Spiders, I came up with a random thing to procrastinate on... a random list of facts about the project.

Read at your own discretion (or boredom, same thing).

  • This was LOOSELY inspired by my time as a bridesmaid for my best friend's wedding. It was thankfully not chaotic and tragic like the events of the novel (it was actually a huge blast and there was a mariachi band). And maybe the movie Bridesmaids, even though I have never seen it. I heard it was good...
  • An addendum to the first fact: none of the characters were based on anyone I knew in the wedding party. Everyone was awesome and drama-free!
  • One of the main characters was loosely inspired by my little sister. She approves of this. :D
  • Yes, there is a stab at Fifty Shades of Grey. You're welcome.
  • The main character listens to this song as she travels to the bride's place. I love this band.
  • An early title for it was Nowhere to Hide and then West End Girls (after the Pet Shop Boys song).
  • It is supposed to be my attempt at a feminist mystery/thriller. I want that genre to exist so badly. Get on it, writers! I don't want to invent it!
  • It takes place about two weeks before the 2012 elections. So when I was planning it, I had no effing clue who was going to become President. I wanted to capture the pre-election tensions going on around the time. (Not times we all want to recall, eh?)
  • It takes place in the span of ten days. The prologue and epilogue are the exceptions, taking place in late 2004 and in mid 2013, respectfully.
  • There wasn't supposed to be a wedding scene, but I added it in after thinking of it as a "deleted scene" and realized how awesome it would be if it was actually in there.
  • I created my first atheist character in this novel. She's really awesome.
  • The common connection that three of the characters have is a shared love for the music of The Band. And yes, they listen to The Last Waltz a lot in the novel.
  • One character names "Gangnam Style" as her favorite song of the year.
  • One of the police officers was named after a suggestion by my little sister's friend. Shout-out to her!
  • Three characters from a previous novel idea make cameos in here. WTF, y'all? Stay in your own universe!
  • And finally... this is the novel's official theme song.

Have I sufficiently bored you yet? No? Then go look at some LOLcats or something. Why are you still here? Here, have a random picture.


*meme does not belong to me*

0 musing(s):