Monday, January 28, 2013

Going Cruelty-Free: 1 1/2 Years So Far...

It will be two years in June/July (I'm not really sure) that I began to buy mostly cruelty-free products. Over time, I learned to look out for items that were human and animal cruelty-free (or CF as it's commonly shortened) and to find quality inexpensive products.

One of the big things I noticed on my search for great CF items is that this stuff's expensive. If you want to stick to certain brands and stay indie, then prepare to pay up big time. Nothing wrong with that... unless you happen to have limited monies, like myself. Though I still live with my parents, I have taken up buying all the CF stuff on my dime. And it does add up after a while. I don't blame a single soul for not jumping on the CF train here, times are tough and you gotta save up all you can. No shame here, money-troubled peeps.

After a long agonizing search for a good shampoo, I found that Trader Joe's and Giovanni have worked the best for me. I also learned that: soap bars work better that liquid soap, Kiss My Face makes an excellent toothpaste and solid deo, and Too Faced will be my makeup indulgence (I love their Violet Femme eyeshadow). Physician's Formula continues to be my go-to for makeup in general. Pacifica also has a great range of perfumes (so does Bath and Body Works, who I still patronize). For bath-time, I love LUSH's bath bombs and bubble bars (they also make a great powder deodorant that smells like coconuts!), along with Enfusia (a regional brand, FTW). As for facial care, I'm torn between LUSH (which is expensive) and Yes to Tomatoes (which isn't, but works well!). For lip care, Burt's Bees and Badger Balm.

*All of the above, except Too Faced, LUSH, Pacifica, and Badger Balm, are very reasonable. The aforementioned are my indulgences.*

There is a line of thinking amongst the CF community that it's best not to even buy CF products owned by non-CF companies, like how Burt's Bees is owned by Clorox. Nothing wrong with that, it's your call if you want to do that. As for me, I still buy CF products even if they're owned by non-CF corporations (hilariously, the only one I still buy is Burt's Bees). I like the concept of "showing more support for the CF brands". But there is a risk of green-washing, as I'll explain more below.

I have decided not to buy Body Shop products anymore because of some really troubling details I learned on this article. Besides the green-washing, there is the exploitation of indigenous people. Not here for that. We privileged people have already harmed them multiple times, no need to add to their suffering.

I'm unsure if I'll ever go fully cruelty-free, like buying expensive detergents and even eating less meats, but I go about as far as I can afford and that my health is concerned.

After reading so much about how kids in third-world countries are exploited so we can get our chocolates, I'm uneasy to get me a Hershey's bar in the future. Then again, I've never been a big chocolate consumer to begin with. Nutella can GTFO, I love me some cookie butter!

Either way, so much to know and continue to learn! If you want to go cruelty-free, don't worry about breaking the bank. There are great brands out there that can give you quality results without the harming to people and animals.

0 musing(s):