Saturday, January 5, 2013

Best of 2012: Music Edition

Okay, here comes one of my favorite things about every new year: more new music! I'm looking forward to Atoms for Peace's debut album so much, you don't even know...

Either way, here we go!




10. Little Broken Hearts by Norah Jones
  Talk about "and now for something completely different"! Finally, Ms. Jones does more than sing jazzy pop. She starts to get a little more electric here, especially with "Happy Pills" and "Miriam". It's like "wow, she's rockin' now!" 'Bout time.

9. Bloom by Beach House
  Of course, of all the albums listed here, this is one of a few that were on many other lists. As a protest for everyone ignoring my choice for the number one album, I'm knocking this one low on my list. So what, I know it means nothing. Either way, still is wonderful for "Lazuli" and "Wild", though their videos blew.

8. Human Again by Ingrid Michaelson
  Ms. Michaelson sang her way into my heart with this surprise classic. I was familiar with her with her first big hit "The Way I Am" (which I didn't really like), but got this album free since it was a former in-store play. I fell in love with "Fire" and "This is War" (both the original and the "home recording" versions). Check this out and fall in love with her too...

7. Confess by Twin Shadow
  I absolutely love this guy. He is basically the best of the eighties, but with more brains and heart. It is synth galore with catchy hooks and almost-ridiculously simple lyrics. I missed a chance to see him live, which I regret big time, but one day I will. I bet he's awesome live. Check out "Five Seconds" to hear why he should be on constant rotation in your music player of choice.

6. Temple Beautiful by Chuck Prophet
  Why haven't I heard about this guy until now? Imagine that: get my attention by releasing a concept album about San Francisco. That's how I discovered this glorious LP (yep, I have it on vinyl!) just browsing around the Web. The title track is where it's at. The album is the San Franciscan album we've been all waiting for. Mr. Prophet basically set the bar. Your move, music world.

5. Voyageur by Kathleen Edwards
  I used to dislike singer-songwriters for their tired lyrics and unexciting music, but I've been on a roll on finding more energetic and interesting singer-songwriters. Enter Ms. Edwards and the hit single from the album "Change the Sheets". Thank you for proving my thoughts on your genre wrong, ma'am. Keep rocking.

4. End of Daze by Dum Dum Girls
  My love affair with Warpaint came to an end last year and wanted so badly to find an all-girl group to throw my support behind (I found another group in my number-one choice). I found the Girls last year with In Your Dreams and waited with anticipation for this gem of an EP. "Season in Hell" is their best work so far. Keep going, girls. I'm rooting for you.

3. Sorry to Bother You by The Coup
  I've been trying to get into hip-hop for a while but didn't know where to start. After not doing much in searching, I came across the song "The Magic Clap" and immediately fell head over heels. Political hip-hop... never knew that genre existed. Love this group and look forward to exploring their catalog and waiting for the next album.

2. The Haunted Man by Bat for Lashes
  Man, talk about someone I missed so much. She laid low for a long time and then came back with this. I'm just beyond words to describe how happy this album's mere existence makes me. "All Your Gold" and "Laura" are just simply beautiful. It is a keeper.

Drum roll please...

1. Tie: Awe Naturale by THEESatisfaction and Sugaring Season by Beth Orton
  I'm absolutely FURIOUS that no end-of-the-year lists have THEESatisfaction's absolutely wonderful debut album anywhere (angry enough to not even subscribe to Under the Radar anymore). Why the eff are you ignoring this dynamic duo, y'all?! "QueenS" was by far the best song of 2012! Besides The Coup, this group has shown me that hip-hop is the way to go. Now onto rap...
  As for Ms. Orton, she is welcomed back with open arms and a beautiful work of art to make up for her absence. "Magpie" fills me with so much light, even though its lyrics are melancholic and the video is haunting.  And her take on the William Blake poem "Poison Tree" is a must-listen.

~

Thanks to all the artists for their music. May the newcomers stick around for more and the veterans keep on going!

This post was brought to you by one dude imitating the entire "Little Lies" video for his band's song.

0 musing(s):