Monday, December 15, 2008

Books from my early teenhood...

Good Lord, preparing (well, not really) for this final has made me do some random things. Like, look back at the reading habits of my childhood. Specifically, the time between the ages of 11-14.

Exhibit A: The Nancy Drew Files

Where do I begin with this? First off, my first major eBay victory came from winning the first 88 (!). These, to me at the time, were as good as mysteries got. That was until I read James Patterson (who now I dislike with a passion). Looking back, Nancy Drew is a huge-ass Mary Sue and the situations are sometimes silly. And let's not even start with the PC games that came out in the early '00's (I played the first five).

Exhibit B: The Best Friends Series

I read one of these a long time ago, a borrow from my local library. I got hooked and rushed to the nearest BookStop (remember those, kids?) and got nearly the whole set. And you bet I read all those cover to cover! To my astonishment, this was a Christian series, and it wasn't overt! In fact, they were quite good. Alas, I no longer own any of them. I wish I did, would love to read them again to see if they aged well...

Exhibit C: The Sierra Jensen Series

I had a very close friend when I was a preteen that was hooked on this and the Christy Miller series. Of course, she recommended them to me and I read the Jensen ones. They weren't bad, as I recall. I rolled my eyes at the Christian business, but it wasn't overt. Since I work mostly in the children's section at my bookstore, I run across these a lot. I am tempted to buy them and give them another try.

~

While typing this entry, I was listening to Brian Eno and David Byrne's "I Feel My Stuff". Kinda funny, considering the irony.

~

I'm also making plans to cease buying books at the beginning of the new year, until I finish reading all the ones I already own. Before I do this, I would love to get a hold of all the Harry Potters.

Until next time...

0 musing(s):