Saturday, April 30, 2011

Hold up! What's happened to the name?!

Well, as y'all know, the website's original name was "Musings of a Crazy Lady Writer" (my moniker also being Crazy Lady Writer) and I explained more than once why there is "crazy" in the title. Ever after explaining it, I never felt good about it. The name still felt ableist.

That is when I read this entry on Tumblr about someone who changed their blog name for that very reason. She changed it after learning about ableism and its word forms. It was quite moving and got me to thinking. Ableism is rooted deep in our languages, not to mention behaviors and perceptions. It is work to change that thinking, but like eradicating other -isms, it is worth it. It helps us to get a huge step closer to overall equality.

After about an hour of figuring out another adjective that would be a better replacement, I decided to change the name. Like the Tumblr user, I found a name that describes me better and is actually hilarious (and not at the expense of disabled folks).

I am sorry for the use of "crazy" in my original blog name. I will watch myself now and in the future.

Peace to all my lovely blog-reading/writing peeps!

~

If you are curious on learning more about ableism and how to end it, check out these wonderful websites:
FWD Forward
Bitch Magazine

0 musing(s):