Wednesday, November 30, 2011

What I've Learned from NaNoWriMo (and Writing Reviews All Year)

Here I am, basking in the victory of NaNoWriMo and working on my grad school application. Haven't done much in the way of editing the application's story and Invisible. Probably a little burned out from writing, I dunno.

Just was thinking about what I've done so far and I have to say, it isn't half bad. With my reviews, I realized I need to work on providing a better way of conveying both good and bad sides and then having a way of saying "yeah this was (good or bad)". Just something else.

Also, with working on More Than Thorns, I learned that I can write something long in about a month and it turning out promising. A hilarious thing about this story was that in its former life, Thorns was a rip-off of The Shining, only in Louisiana and the house was a Greek Revival. Thank God I was able to resurrect it. Normally, when a story gets that entrenched in gory things like that, it's beyond saving. The other funny thing is, I actually miss the world and the characters of Thorns. I really want to revisit it and add more scenes. But Invisible and the application story need to get done.

The biggest lesson I got from NaNoWriMo was to have fun. I forgot how much fun writing can be. Editing is fun too, don't get me wrong. I had an absolute blast. It was the challenge I've been needing for so long. I set goals and met them (well, most of them) and got absorbed in another novel world. I had to tell my editor shut the hell up and just write. I learned to give it my all, even if I wasn't 100% satisfied with the final product. In order to be a successful writer, I must let myself actually do some damn writing (that and edit it, but you get the point). Editing and revisions aren't going to be my problem. It's crossing that first finish line, finishing the first draft.

All this? My friends, this is the craft of writing.

0 musing(s):