Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Notes on A Seminar

A few days ago, I went to a writing seminar on science fiction and fantasy novels. The seminar was hosted by the writing organization I recently joined. It was enjoyable, like being back in college, listening to a professor talk about a specialized topic. Also I learned some new stuff about the genres, like how fantasy (at least, the lecturer argued) that it has its roots in medievalism and Arthurian legends. As for science fiction, it is usually seen as the more "realistic" of the two, usually based on real things (y'know, science). For some hardcore sci-fi and fantasy nerds, I am definitely stating the obvious. To be fair, I haven't read enough of each genre to get that idea. So far, from my few readings, I gathered that: that fantasy has magic and dragons; and that science fiction always managed to predict the future. (Of the two, I prefer sci-fi. So says the frustrated lady writer who is penning a fantasy novel on the side. [Said fantasy novel is not Invisible.]) The only thing I didn't like about the seminar was the lecturer didn't go into much detail about magic realism (which some writers and critics have likened to being no more than a snooty term for fantasy), otherwise I liked it. Since it was a class full of writers, we shared some of our novel ideas. I even shared mine, which the lecturer commented on the concept having the "classic ideas". Afterwards, he wished me luck on my writing after I thanked him for the lecture.

I definitely will be attending future classes held by the writing organization. Hopefully, even a retreat in the future. But for now, let's see how things work out with finances...

0 musing(s):