Monday, June 24, 2013

Richard Matheson: 1926-2013

A literary icon has left this earth yesterday. The news came to me via Joe Hill's Twitter. At first it was dismissed as only a rumor without much to go on. As time flowed on, it was revealed to be the truth, much to the heartbreak of family and friends and fans. Mr. Hill's last tweet on the matter was a tact and ardent "oh f***". And as they say, there you have it.

The man who dreamed up a Heaven so beautiful with a Hell that fascinated and terrified us in What Dreams May Come, the man who made time travel a fantastic and scary affair in Somewhere in Time, made vampires scary and awesome in I Am Legend, and even wrote some excellent Twilight Zone episodes; Mr. Matheson dared to make some genuinely scary things and also find the beauty within the shadows and murky humanity.

I can't even begin tell y'all how much of an impact What Dreams May Come had on me. But my personal favorite moment would be that shortly after my sister read it (after I did and told her about it; at this point, we only seen the movie), we loved the ideas presented in it so much that we wanted to start a religion based on it. While the movie captured it visually, the book is so much of a masterpiece of spirituality and life after death. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do it now.

Condolences to his family and friends in this time of great mourning. And a collective hug and cry-fest to the fans and writers who loved him.

Thank you for everything, sir. You did so much and you are so beloved. I hope you knew that before your soul passed. Rest in peace.

0 musing(s):