Thursday, June 11, 2009

A little discussion...

I have a REAL problem with the first line in this article.

"Decaying corpse of genre fiction"? Whoa, someone needs to get off their f***ing high horse.

I don't have the beef with Mr. Chabon. In fact, according to his Wikipedia article, he deserves a freaking high-five. Along with Margaret Atwood, too.

~

Anyway, this reminded me of what I'm trying to do with my writing. I think literary fiction has its place, but I can't stand most of it. At the same time, let's not kid ourselves fellow writers, genre fiction needs a kick in the pants. And apparently, such a phenomenon is already occurring. Well, thank God that I wasn't the only one who thought this. I felt alone in my feelings on this, especially in fiction workshops. And most classes, for that matter.

I once wrote a paper on how Toni Morrison's Beloved was a horror novel (a book that ended up winning a Pulitzer Prize, mind that y'all). Some of my classmates thought I had freaking insulted the book. Though I know the paper could've been better written, I knew that it was far from an insult. It was basically me asking everyone "can literature have genre fiction elements?" And the answer is: YES, YES IT CAN.

/rant

Alright, well, lemme see where I am at right now on Blues... I'm about 903 words away from today's goal. Because of exhaustion following the Coldplay concert, I was unable to write last night. So, not too bad. It's hard to force words out, I want my stuff to be quality. But, it's a first draft. It would be a miracle unto God if the first draft is flawless. So, I have to write what I feel will work in the piece and then edit like hell when it comes to that time.

Until next time...

0 musing(s):