Monday, March 5, 2012

Here I go again, being a hypocrite...

I have decided to run another little experiment. Whatever new releases in literature I want, I will buy then via e-reader. So far, I purchased the following: The Fox Effect, Half-Blood Blues, and Drifting House. I have others, but those are the big releases so far. I plan on more, which I'll note as the year goes on. Much like the vinyl-with-MP3-code business, it is an attempt to get into another format of entertainment that I enjoy.

Most of the books do end up being cheaper to purchase in e-book form versus the hard copy (with my employee discount). The Fox Effect was an unusual one, it was about a fifty-cent difference between the paperback and the e-book. 

So far, I enjoy both formats. I see myself still buying hard copies and encouraging that more, but e-readers and e-books have their own purposes.

Trying anything new for 2012? Share them!

1 musing(s):

Brooks said...

I do about a 50/50 split between physical books and ebooks. I travel a bunch for my day job and the approximately 45min I spend on each flight in which I'm not allowed to use my e-reader is spent with a physical book. If I'm really into my take-off and landing book then I may never fire up the e-reader.

I also switched to reading on my iPhone in bed at night because it's backlit and I don't need another light in order to see the screen. This makes the wife happy and allows me to read as long as I want.

As far as price goes, I hate paying more than $10 for an e-book, but I still throw down the money for a title I really want. I buy lots of my physical books at used book shops or I get them as gifts.