Thursday, March 8, 2012

Sooo, I got a butt-ton of 45s...

I went to Half-Price Books after a long, stupid day at work, checking to see if I could stumble across some Kate Bush records. It happened once before, I found a beautiful marbled pressing of Hounds of Love there. After no success with the LPs, I found the 45s and began sorting through them. I found Dire Straits's Communique on cassette tape while going through the 45s. I began to strike gold, finding several Paul Simon and Billy Joel singles (alas, "Big Shot" ended up having a big crack across it). I went on to the other area where they had 45s. That's when I found Walter Egan's "Magnet and Steel", Elvis Costello and the Attractions: Live at Hollywood High, and a UK picture disc of Silversun Pickups's "Lazy Eye" (among others).

For the most part, they play very well, without much pops and crackles, despite that a great chunk of them were missing their paper sleeves. And so, another thing to buy in bulk: sleeves for 45s.

I never expressed much interest in 45s, since I usually end up having the songs already in their native albums, but sometimes it is cool to find your favorite song and then notice it has a rare B-side you've never heard before. It depends on who the artist is, to be honest.

Just as I was writing this, my copy of Nite Jewel's One Second of Love just arrived. And I did get the limited white vinyl version after all. Happy day!

~

This entry was brought to you by procrastination and Silversun Pickups's "Comeback Kid".

0 musing(s):