Friday, May 31, 2013

Favorite Internet Entertainers

I love me some Internet TV (as I call the shows I catch on the web). In fact, I follow quite a few series. You may have heard of some of them, maybe not. Either way, get yourself introduced to what I love to watch when I should be writing take a break from writing/editing for hours on end.

They all have one thing in common: they are humor-based. And are mostly done by dudes. Okay, that's two things...

Achievement Hunter
I have to thank my sister for this one. She's been watching them for a while before she told me all about them. It all began with the Minecraft Let's Plays. Oh jeez, these dudes are a funny bunch. And yea for regional love (they're based in Texas!). In case you're wondering, my favorite Achievement Hunter is Ray (my sister's favorite is Gavin). I love having their stuff on background as I edit my writing and/or goof around on the computer.

The Cinema Snob
He's definitely a preferred taste. Yet, I frigging love Brad Jones*. I'm a huge fan of dry, sarcastic humor; not much so of exploitation films, but I know so much now that I could be considered an acolyte. I did watch a Herschell Gordon Lewis film (Color Me Blood Red) after I saw the review of Blood Feast (which has some hilarious one-liners from Jones, like: "Wow, that shocked the acting out of him!"), which I want him to review in the future. That film was bad.

The Nostalgia Critic
Ahhh, I remember when Mr. Doug Walker was on YouTube. I ran across his review of Cartoon All Stars to the Rescue and was immediately hooked. He hit me right in the nostalgic feels over and over (with Space Jam, Twister, and Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird) while indulging my funny bone. He's hit and miss these days, not a huge fan of his new take on the character, but he still has his signature brand of shouty humor.

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series
Thanks to this show, I know way too much about this anime. Like how the game works and stuff. But man, I love this show to death. It is immensely funny and oddball, and doesn't update too often. Oh well, it makes each new episode a special treat worthy of breaking out the good beer and queso for.

PushingUpRoses
I started to love her work shortly before she left ThatGuywiththeGlasses (while on there, she was the solitary lady music geek and PC gamer). She's still doing her own thing, teaming up with LazyGameReviews (whose Sims 3 reviews are alone the price of admission) on occasion while doing the solo thing with old-school PC games. She's like Spoony, but less offensive and more punny (which, when done right, is wonderful). She also has an excellent blog and a mean artistic streak!

Vag Magazine 
I haven't seen an update from this show in a long time, but it's still funny. It's basically a satire of feminism and  its followers (see? Feminists do have a sense of humor!). I love the straight girl character, she seems like she would be me in that situation. Now that I look like it, it predates Girls, but it actually knows how to make fun of itself. Ms. Dunham, take note.

Freeman's Mind
I already loved Half-Life 2 and all, but this series made me love it even more. I love how the wonderful, brave, and noble Gordon Freeman is turned into an arrogant goofy jackass. I quote this show in real life a lot. My favorite thing to say is "this place is deeaaaaad", followed by "man, this place got whomped!" (often in reference to work). And congrats to Mr. Scott and his show: they are new additions to ThatGuyWithTheGlasses!

This post brought to you by the best YouTube video ever:




*Fun fact: He was the inspiration for a character from another novel I'm working on. She is an Internet movie reviewer, doing mostly random flicks like Courage Under Fire. She also wears hilariously big aviator glasses like the Snob does.

0 musing(s):