Monday, May 20, 2013

My Favorite Blogs

I try to limit my time on the Internet so I can do other things, like reading and writing, but whenever I finish up a project or a goal, I love to settle down and read a good blog that makes me motivated to change things, stay informed on my loves and passions, and even entice a giggle out of me.

Unf*** Your Habitat
This blog gets "Funniest Blog Title Ever" for me. It is a blog on how to clean almost anything, from stubborn carpet stains to rooms with junk piles as high as Mount Vesuvius. It also has an iPhone app (Android forthcoming!) that helps you keep goals and motivates you with caps lock messages. Good times to be had by all, even those who hate to clean.

Adulting
Yea, there is a famous twentysomething that isn't making all of us look bad! She comes in the form of Ms. Williams Brown, a gal two years my senior who gives wise and funny advice on how to become one of these mystical adult things we've heard so much about. Her book is quickly becoming my favorite of the year.

My Beauty Bunny
Here is where I found the most help on CF (cruelty-free) products. They have a frequently updated list of who is staying CF and who is not (sadly it includes L'Occitane, who had the loveliest rose perfume I'd ever smelled). They also have great guest bloggers and tons of tips to look glamorous without hurting bunnies! Gotta love that.

And Then We Saved
I mentioned this blog before on here, but it's so good, I have to mention it again! A lot of my inspiration to save money and be frugal, etc. has come from this blog. I'm immensely happy to have stumbled upon it. Thank you so much Ms. Newell Jones! Keep doing your thing!

Flavorwire (mostly the music and book sections)
I don't know how I found out about this website, but one day, I discovered it, and the sections I love... and the rest, as they say, is history. I found a ton of great book recommendations from them, more than even NPR! It's likely that the demographic is for folks roughly around my age, so it would make sense that it all seems to appeal to me. Though their worship of "edgy" writers is a bit eyebrow-raising...

Under the Radar
Even though I no longer subscribe to the magazine, I enjoy their news page a lot. It keeps me up to date on musical trends, new releases (the main thing I keep up with), and tour dates for bands I like. That's how I found out that Editors and Franz Ferdinand are releasing new albums, and even heard song samples from them and even Empire of the Sun. Why not Pitchfork? Here, this should refresh your memory.

Lifehacker
Thanks to this website, I was more than prepared for my iPhone's arrival. I knew how to conserve battery power, what apps to try out, how to use certain apps to their potential, and even what to do in worst-case scenarios (thank God none have happened yet). This website also helped me with computer stuff and even things to do to make my life easier.

NPR
Okay, I know this a left-leaning news group. At least it is honest about what it is. Unlike something else (*cough* Fox News *cough*). Either way, the news I get from here are more than just local and even national, it covers the whole world. I do rely on other sources (see my FAQ for others) but when I'm in a pinch, I listen to NPR on the way to work and I'm caught up for the most part.

Tiny Buddha
When I was making the arduous but worthwhile recovery from years of letting depression and OCD rule everything about me, I was looking for positive and life coaching blogs to help me learn more about myself and life itself. This was the one that I loved the best and still find joy in every week (I get their weekly emails on Friday, so it's a great thing to do while I'm eating breakfast). I always find something that either will help me or a loved one.

Got a favorite blog? Share it below!

This post was brought to you by one of my favorite documentaries:

0 musing(s):