Wednesday, May 1, 2013

New York City: Day 3

Sorry that it took me so freaking long to get this finished. Not gonna do this for San Francisco. Alright, let's wrap this burrito up and call it a day.

Previously on this program...

(All of the pictures here, unless otherwise indicated, were taken by me)

My sister and I woke up to a misty morning, drizzle falling from gray skies above. We ate at Starbucks (dammit) for breakfast and then decided to begin our journey to the Met, which where we were gonna meet a friend. You see, my sister has a friend up in New York State. They met online on an MMORPG several years ago and have been close ever since, mostly playing through Xbox Live. She and her sister and father were gonna come down and meet us at the museum  where my sister and her would actually meet.

The Met, after the weather cleared up.
We walked through Central Park, where it was still drizzling and cool. Thanks to the park app I downloaded, we managed to find our way to the museum  We first stopped to see Cleopatra's Needle and then went around to the front. We sat at the front steps and decided to wait for my sister's friend to show up. After twenty minutes, I saw a tall young woman approach my sister sneaky-like. They agreed that if one saw the other, they would surprise them. My sister was busy with her iPod, wanting to listen to some music. I about alerted my sister, but thought it would better not to interfere. I knew this was her friend. She got to surprise my sister. They hugged and I introduced myself to her. Soon, her younger sister and her father joined us. We went inside and began our long journey through the museum.

One of the exhibits brought back memories; the Egyptian temple area. I used to borrow old Sesame Street videos from the library as a kid, and one of them was called Don't Eat the Pictures; where Big Bird and friends got locked in the Met overnight. The subplot had Big Bird and Snuffy helping the ghost of an Egyptian prince go to heaven. They found the prince at the temple. It was pretty awesome to see the real thing.

I also had read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (R.I.P. Ms. Konigsburg) earlier in the year and was looking forward to seeing what the kids probably experienced in the book. It was much like how the book described it, how the beds were huge and how the kids could've lived in the museum  I'm sure nowadays it would be impossible, but it was cool to imagine it.

My sister's friend gave us gifts, mine was a lavender-scented lotion bar, which works very well and smells lovely. I forgot what she gave my sister. Either way, we toured around and even attempted to have some snacks in the very busy cafeteria.

We saw many things, not all I photographed. I completely goofed and forgot to snag some pics of some O'Keeffe paintings I saw. Deeply regret it. Otherwise, here's some things:
Probably Greek art, but I may be wrong...
The Chinese Garden Court
Rousseau!
Chagall!
F*** yeah color field!
F*** yeah Monet!

We spent about three hours perusing all the art, it was a freaking huge place. After all that, we had to part ways. My sister said goodbye to her friend and family, I did too, and they left to catch their bus back to their home. I ate a hot dog and we decided to take a taxi to do some other last-minute sightseeing. First stop: Grand Central Station!

I about yelled at that kid with the iPad, but
it was impossible to get a shot without him in it.
The ceiling was quite interesting, had various constellations that (I bet) lit up at night. It was quite loud, but it was almost cathedral-like in its solemnity  After some photos, we took the subway to another area of town. I wanted to find a record store that I heard about, so we decided to go. On the subway, we were talking about which stop we needed to get to when a local overheard us. She was very lovely, helping us and even making some small talk about the Met stuff we had. Who said New Yorkers were jerkasses? They were quite wonderful! Helping us with directions and stuff.

When we got to the record store, it was closed. Turns out the one day it doesn't open was that very weekday. Dammit. I flagged a taxi and we decided to hang around Times Square until the sun went down to see the area at night.

And so we did!

Quite lovely at night, I agree...

After doing our oohs and ahhs over Times Square, we went to Subway and got food, then rode the subways back to our hotel room one last time, where we ate our dinner and fell asleep to Scarface

We woke the next morning to ride in a lovely town car (ooh fancy) to the airport in Queens to fly back to the Lone Star State.

~

That about wraps up my adventures in New York City. Next time, I will head to the City by the Bay! Will the food be good? How worthwhile will it be to use the city's mass transit? Is the hotel as awesome as it promises? And by God, will I have not to worry about a Starbucks?!

Tune in late June for Frustrated Lady Writer Takes on San Francisco!

0 musing(s):