Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Doing What I Can

After thinking about it for a while (and reading the archives of And Then We Saved) I have decided to do a Spending Diet of sorts. I really want to have a nice chunk of change saved up in my bank for whatever things, and of course for San Francisco. In fact, I had two unexpected expenses to worry about: my glasses' temple bar broke off completely and my Fossil watch started to act weird. Thankfully I was able to find an exact replica of my frames on eBay for half the price I originally bought them for; for the Fossil watch, I got a battery replacement. So far, everything seems to be back to normal (?). My glasses fit great and my watch hasn't been acting like a doofus.

I also got my haircut at SuperCuts instead of my usual stop at JcPenney (their salons are awesome, but pricey). The stylist at SuperCuts did a great job and I only paid half of what I normally do at JcPenney (and that was with a generous tip!). Also been avoiding going out to eat and buying books and music (which hurts, I can't even begin...) Been utilizing the library more often and my job's book loan program. I checked out the new Joe Hill novel* instead of buying it (but Lordy I did want to buy it. I want to support Stephen King's son! I'll buy its eventual paperback release...)

Since the only thing I don't pay for is most groceries, this is still covered by my parents, I'm doing pretty well for someone who only works a part-time job. My car was a gift, though I do pay my share of the insurance. I pay my share of utilities (no rent, since the house is paid off. Go Mom and Dad!) I'm doing what I can with what I have at the time. I do want to move on to a better-paying job (also with great health benefits, since there are meds I need to be on, otherwise remain very healthy) but I'll have to make do. And you know what? Better to learn it now than later.

*Don't worry, B&N customers, I take excellent care of the books I borrow. And if I ever damage them in any way, I always buy it to remain fair and honest.

FYI: the title of the blog entry is a Lindsey Buckingham song.

0 musing(s):